Monday, April 16, 2012

RedBud Classic Recap

My plan for the past 4 weeks has been to train, running at least 3 times a week. Did that happen? Not quite. I actually only ran twice. Yep, 2 times since I was about 6 months pregnant. So when I woke up Sunday morning I was a little nervous about the 5k I was set to run.

I had decided my goal was to finish in under 35 minutes...not a quality time by any means but I haven't been running and I thought I would definitely have to walk on occasion. So that was my goal.

IMG_0655

My brother was also running so we headed to the race together and lined up in the middle back of the pack.

I stretched, warmed up and was as ready as I was going to be. And the start gun went off.

After the first 1k I felt great and after the first 2 miles I felt great. In fact I was completely surprised by how my body was responding. My new goal mid race - no walking.


By no means was I running at a great pace and with a little training I could have actually done pretty well but I was enjoying the run and getting a little bit of satisfaction by passing people (I expected to be the one getting passed all race).

I picked up my pace the last 1k and fought my way up the hill and against the wind to the finish line. And this year I had a new fan waiting for me at the finish. It was so much fun to see Molly's little face watching her mama come across that finish line. An entirely new level of satisfaction.

DSC_0317

So all in all I am pretty pleased with myself and am very impressed with how my body responded. Maybe its just that much stronger after having a baby and being a mom for the past 5 months. Looking forward to the next 5k and doing a little training.

Official Results:
32:33 - 6:31 pace


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your race- it looked like a gorgeous day. I never thought about how cool it would be to see my baby's face at the finish line- how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!! Congrats mama

    I ran a 5K when I was six months preg and then one year later I ran the same race with no training...four minutes slower. How sad is that? 29min to 33min. So pathetic haha

    ReplyDelete