Wednesday, July 14, 2010

my very first

Tuesday morning my co-worker and I took our office to the golf course and played a round at LB Houston course in Dallas.

For those of you that don't know, I have been golfing since I was about 10 years old.  I played in my first tournament at 10 or 11 and won 2nd place with a 58 for 9 holes.  I was hooked.  For the next 8 years I played golf competitively in the Junior PGA, the AJGA and in 6A High School.  I was very fortunate to win a lot of tournaments and finish as high as 4th in the State of Oklahoma in high school.  Golf was a huge part of my life.  I decided not to play at the college level (to the great dismay of my father) because I wanted to just be a student one time in my life.  I don't regret that decision at all.

I still continue to play golf when I have some free time and I have been fortunate enough to be a ringer in several four man scrambles and grab some women's longest drive titles.

But, one great accomplishment remained undone..it was a massive goal that was eluding me and has eluded many other great golfers.  A hole in one.  It is one of the hardest things to do in any sport.  To be able to mark a "1" on your scorecard.  The thrill of watching the ball disappear from the green altogether.

On Tuesday I was finally able to cross this goal off of my list!  On number 15, in the Texas heat, on a par 3 135 yard hole, I pulled out my 8 iron, teed it up, stroked a beautiful high draw then watched it hit the green and disappear off the face of the earth.  HOLE IN ONE!!  It was magical, unbelievable, shocking, and exhilarating.  Wow!

Me picking up my ball from the cup

My hole in one scorecard, check out #15

Something I will remember for the rest of my life.  My very first hole in one!

2 comments: