Thursday, August 16, 2012

Leaving Baby Behind

In 6 days we will be leaving our baby behind to take a vacation just the two of us. When I planned this trip a couple months ago I was SO excited. The thought of sleeping in, going out at night, taking naps, general spontaneity was so thrilling. I couldn't wait. And here we are, 6 days out and I am sick just thinking about it.

Untitled

I have this knot in my stomach that makes me nauseous when I start to think about leaving Molly. I am getting tears welling up in my eyes as I write this post. Thinking about walking out the door next Wed and not seeing her until the following Monday is heart breaking. How do people do this the first time?

I have been going over and over in my head the things I could say to the airline to get a refund on our non-refundable tickets. I have been trying to figure out how to maybe take a day or two off the length of our trip. I have been planning super exciting and fun things to do on our vacation to try and block out the idea of leaving her. Nothing is working. I am terrified.

Untitled

I know that we need this. We need to get away for a few days and have some real alone time. Between my husbands school, my work and taking care of Molly we don't get much uninterrupted time and I know it will be nice. (except I might be bawling my eyes out the entire time) We need a little piece of our old life back, if only just for a few days. We need a little independence and adventure to hold us over for another 9 months until we can get away again.

But geez, I do not want to go.

6 days, six short days to get over it and prepare for a good time. I can do this.

Untitled

Moms out there, any tips on getting over the separation and allowing yourself to have a good time?


5 comments:

  1. Go and have fun! You'll be so happy you did. It's so hard to leave them, so hard and you may shed some tears when you leave but when you get back you'll feel so refreshed! I would love to go on a vacay with just Nate and I! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know she'll be well taken care of with GG and Granddaddy!  You need this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will have SOOOO much fun! We just got back from our first post-baby trip by ourselves (she is 10 mos) and had an absolute blast. I missed her, but I honestly didnt think about it much because we had so much fun! My parents sent lots of text/picture updates which helped! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well let me say that if you have good care for her (and you do!) and a great trip planned, do it. Especially do it for those crazy moms who have never done it and it's been 8 years. Seriously. Not a good choice on our part because sometimes you need that break so do it and you will not regret it. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
















  5. Go and have fun. You deserve some downtime. In my case, Grandma
    has a smartphone now and can send me pictures of baby from time to time. It’s a
    comfort and just plain fun.

    ReplyDelete