Monday, December 7, 2009

In the Closet

The first real project we are tackling in our new house is the master bedroom closet. In the listing for the house when we bought it, it said "walk-in closet." While technically, this is true...there is a little bit of space to step inside it, its not a traditional walk-in. And right now, it consists of one very weak and buckling closet rod. Needless to say a lot of unclaimed space that we can't let go to waste.

This weekend my Dad came to visit. One of our projects was going to be purchasing a pre-made closet package to transform the master closet into an actual useful storage space. As it turns out, those packaged closets are a piece of crap. I should have known.

Lucky me, my Dad can be handy with the tools when he wants to be. He graciously volunteered himself to design and build (he is an architect) a custom closet for us. Yippee!!

This is the closet as it is now:

fullcloset


This is the sketch my dad put together for what the closet will become:

Closet sketch

The plan is to have one center set of shelving with shelves and rods on either side. This will maximize the height of the closet and allow us different shelving and rod hanging levels. This will also help Chase and I merge our closet!

I am pretty excited about getting this brand new custom designed closet. The plan is for my dad to build it this week at his house in OKC and come back next weekend to Dallas to install. A post on the finished project to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment