Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Something Old

A couple weeks ago when my Mom was in town for a visit she brought along a great gift for Chase and I.  Its the book she received from John a. brown department store when she registered for her and my dads wedding.  The book is titled Happy Living for New Homemakers copyright 1977.

IMG_2320

The best part about this little gem is the amount of items listed under Barware in the registry check list.  I really miss the days of at home parties with friends gathered around the elaborate home bar.  A home bar with 18 different style glasses for all of the different drinks.

IMG_2322

While some of the passages in this book are pretty outdated a lot of the information is still very useful.  The book includes some great floorplan guides, furniture dimension guides, silver guides etc.

IMG_2321

The best chapter in the entire books is Time for a Party.  It lists out all the types of alcohol, mixers, garnishes etc. you should have in your home bar.   It even throws in the recipes for the classic cocktails of the day (Martini, Whiskey Sour, Manhattan, Bloody Mary and Screwdriver). Or really good iced tea.

IMG_2323

What a fantastic something old for my Mom to pass on to me.  I will cherish this book and hopefully pass it on to my daughter one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment