Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Green Addition

I finally decided to add a plant to my house. I used to not like indoor plants. I thought they looked tacky and only old people had them. I have since changed my mind. I wanted something green and organic to add the look and feel of my living room. I moved my bike into the dining room when I had my Christmas tree up and decided to leave it there. Once the tree was gone I had an empty area to fill so in comes my new plant!



So far I am really enjoying it. It really makes that space in the corner look so much brighter and happier. After I realized that the plant elevated my mood I did some investigating. I found out that having plants around can be very beneficial.

1. In addition to calming your heart rate, plants lower blood pressure and reduce muscle tension related to stress
2. Plants help us relax and focus, leading to increased productivity,creativity, idea generation, and problem solving capabilities. In fact, the presence of plants helps so much that it has been shown to relieve the symptoms experienced by children with ADD.
3. Plants help patients recovering from surgery and ease the symptoms of Alzheimer’s.
4. Plants also help clean the air we breathe by absorbing toxins and acting as little oxygen factories.

I still need to re-pot the plant from the plastic container it came in to the pot I purchased I Lowes. I think I will tackle that tomorrow. For now I am just enjoying the view.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice sis. All of those benefits of having or being around plants is why I like them so much. Now you know why. Hope it grows big and strong if advice is needed I am here to help.

    ReplyDelete