Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My house is a very fine house...

Around a year and a half ago I packed my bags in Norman after graduation and headed back to the city. As I exhaustively looked for a place to live I had to shack up with my parents for an entire MONTH! A month is a long time in living with parents world. But it is nice to have meals prepared for you and your laundry done.

Since I work in Bricktown one of my main goals for my new residence was proximity to work. After driving to work from Norman and then from NW OKC I did not want a commute.

There were several areas along NW 23rd and NW 36th area that my mom and I explored but everything was too small and not well kept up. I narrowed my search to Edgemere Park/Crown Heights area but because this is such a perfect location with nice places to live things were not popping up for rent very often.

One day after work I decided to take a quick drive through Edgemere to see if there was anything new available. Luckily I glanced over through the park and saw a shiny white "For Rent" sign in a yard where there previously had not been one. As I would find out later I called the number about 10 minutes after they put the sign out.

As soon as I saw this place I new it was meant to be. It was perfect in every way. Except that she didn't allow dogs, which I would later talk her into when I found Paisley.

The house is a late 1920's duplex built to house the large population returning from war. All of the original architectural features are intact. The house has a detached garage and basement.

This is a quick floorplan sketch of the place so you can get an idea of the space. Its a row style setup with a lot of classic architectural elements. Note: This is not to scale at all.


So now that you have the back story, lets take the tour...

Front of the house. My front door is on the left.


View towards my side of duplex


Please, come on in


Living room as viewed from front door entrance


Couch area. Note the built in bookshelf behind the couch.


Mantle and foe fireplace.


Custom fireplace wood carving. Each house in this area has its own custom carving adorning their fireplace. So articulate and beautiful.



Dining room and home for my mountain bike


Bar area. The cabinet is original. This area is right off the kitchen.


Kitchen. All cabinetry and counter tops are original 20's


Bathroom. Nothing special. Just clean and simple.


Where the magic happens...sometimes.


My dresser nook. Notice my James Dean collage. I love him.


Last but no least, the best part of my house. The proximity and view of the beautiful park across the street. (Note: I will dedicate a post to this in the spring when everything is green and lustrous.)

The park.


I absolutely love my home and I can't imagine living anywhere else. This is the best place for my Pseudo Singe lifestyle. I am also fortunate to have several friends nearby. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

1 comment:

  1. I love your duplex! I especially love the kitchen countertops and sink. That is by far my favorite feature in your entire home.

    ReplyDelete